This muffinized™ piña colada is full of the flavors of pineapple and coconut, without the rum. Adding pineapple also intensifies sweetness without adding additional sugar.
Out of the oven, the scent is wonderful in these almost-cupcakes that contain no butter or oil.
Fresh and light, this muffin is dense and yummy. There are bits of pineapple in each bite, and the flavor is reminiscent of a macaroon.
Piña Colada Muffins (makes 18)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk (a generous 1 1/2 cups)
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup shredded coconut (plus 1/4 cup to sprinkle on top)
1 cup diced pineapple or diced dried pineapple
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl (or a liquid measuring cup), combine coconut milk, applesauce, and vanilla.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, and stir just to combine. Fold in the ½ cup shredded coconut and pineapple.
5. Spoon batter into greased muffin pan, filling each muffin cup about 2/3 full. Sprinkle additional shredded coconut on top.
6. Bake for 15 minutes and allow to cool before removing muffins from tin.
One thought on “Piña Colada Muffins”
What a great idea flavour idea for muffins, thanks for sharing.