A wonderful way to start the day, these refreshing lemony ricotta muffins look fancy and taste delicious. Without the lemon, this recipe makes a great ricotta muffin. The almonds on top look great and add even more protein.
*Note: Omit almonds for young children.
Lemon Ricotta Muffins (makes 12)
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar (plus more for sprinkling)
1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup), melted and cooled to room temperature
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1 Tbsp lemon zest, finely grated (from 2 lemons)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the ricotta cheese and lemon zest. Add the egg, lemon juice, and almond extract.
4. Add the flour mixture to the ricotta mixture and stir until just blended. This is a thick batter.
5. Using and ice cream scooper, divide the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the almonds and extra sugar on top. Prod almonds into batter, slightly.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are a pale golden color.