Some kids don’t like “chunks.” These muffins are silky smooth and moist and still contain apples, just not in chunk form.
The sandy texture of the cinnamon/sugar on top may not go over well with toddlers. If that’s the case in your home, omit this delicious touch, and they’ll devour the invisible apples.
You can cut a dip in the “core” of the muffin and fill with jam. Serve with sliced apples or fruit on the side for even more servings of fruit.
Invisible Apple Muffins (makes 18)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup applesauce
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375. Grease muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift flour and sugar and mix well.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla.
4. Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients, add applesauce, and stir well to combine.
5. Spoon batter into greased muffin pan, filling each muffin cup about 2/3 full.
6. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar topping (optional – see above).
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a knife inserted into the muffin comes out clean.