My kids could not figure out the curly “things” on top.
In America, we do not see coconuts often, but hands down, the flavor is mouth-watering, especially in these muffins that are full of applesauce, coconut milk, and shredded coconut. The moist, home-baked goods practically call your name by filling your house with amazing aromas.
The coconut flavor is not overwhelming. For a stronger taste, substitute coconut extract for the vanilla. For a sweeter muffin, increase the amount of sugar in the recipe.
The tops round out nicely, in golden brown. The coconut flakes form toasty edges on top. Call these “muffins” if you like, but these are like CAKE.
Coconut Muffins (makes 12)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk (a generous 1 1/2 cups)
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup shredded coconut (plus 1/4 cup to sprinkle on tops)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl (or a liquid measuring cup), combine coconut milk, applesauce, and vanilla.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, and stir just to combine. Fold in the shredded coconut.
5. Spoon batter into greased muffin pan, filling each muffin cup about 2/3 full. Sprinkle additional shredded coconut on top.
6. Bake for 15 minutes and allow to cool before removing muffins from tin.