Your eyes are not playing tricks. This is hot cocoa, muffinized™. Now you can EAT your hot cocoa, as a muffin, baked in a coffee mug to complete the illusion.
These muffins are delicious and easy to make. Serve with a steamy hot beverage (hot chocolate or perhaps hot apple cider).
Swirly Hot Cocoa Muffins (makes 12 muffins or 6 mugs)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
½ cup butter, melted (and cooled)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray muffin pan (or 6 coffee mugs) with cooking spray, or line the pan with paper liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, then beat in milk, butter and vanilla.
4. Create a well in the flour mixture and add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture. Gently stir to combine.
5. Divide batter into two bowls. Add unsweetened cocoa to one of the bowls of batter and stir just until mixed.
6. Place a layer of the plain batter on the bottom of each mug or muffin cup. Then, a layer of chocolate, then more plain, and end with a dab of the chocolate.
7. Bake for 13-18 minutes until golden brown on top.
8. Remove from oven to cool completely (or not) on a wire cooling rack.
4 thoughts on “Swirly Hot Cocoa Muffins”
These muffins are such a great idea! Love the swirls!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Love your blog. The recipes look great and the pictures are adorable!
Great recipe, I added chocolate chips and mini marshmallows to kick up the hot cocoa-ness! They were a hit!
Good thinking! Sounds absolutely delicious!